Monday 18 January 2010

Allergy Testing


Here is Daniel's arm -- track marks care of the allergy doctor we saw this afternoon. They had me put on a topical anesthetic cream an hour before and that did the trick - he had a numb arm, and Daniel watched as every needle was inserted (5-10 mins between each one).

We were at the doctor's for 3 hours. I took our laptop so we watched some Wiggles, looked at some photos, as well as read, played with the toys in the waiting room, and made a few trips to the washroom (for me, not Daniel ;) ).

I know this picture isn't very clear, but the column on the right had the two main allergies (bottom, and 3rd from bottom) which were carrots (incl celery and parsnip) and corn (which is in eeeeeevvvvverything! corn starch/flour or glucose....have a look at ingredient labels). No more cornflakes for brekky, sorry buddy! He also showed allergies to oranges (therefore all citrus) and beef/veal (I didn't know you could be allergic to beef!). So the next month will be interesting as we cut those things out and see what happens. But it does mean that we will be able to reintroduce cow's milk, which is easier on the budget than soy. I hope he still likes the taste!

About half-way through the testing Daniel looked like he had had enough (it was nap time). Apparently you're not supposed to eat during the testing. But the doc said we could have a snack, and that helped out a lot. Little boys can't go for very long without eating!

Anyway, he was very very brave, the staff were very impressed, and now it is all over! I'm not sure if these are permanent allergies, or if he has the possibility of growing out of them, but I'll be asking that in the follow-up appointment in a month. Makes me wonder what I could be allergic to! But since I'm not showing any symptoms I'm not going to spend all that money to find out.

No comments: